Sunday, November 28, 2010

Those dreadful leftovers!

My favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner is the leftover turkey sandwich that I enjoy around 8:00pm while crashed on the couch watching Jim Carrey movies.  After that, I'm stuck with all these leftovers, staring at me each time I open the refrigerator door!  To avoid throwing them out, I start digging through my recipe books looking for exciting new ways to make good use of them.

When I was growing up, my mom always made a huge pot pie the day after Thanksgiving, using everything except the mashed potatoes & dressing.  That left me wondering why the dressing couldn't be used in place of the biscuits as a topping. 

So, I went searching and found this yummy recipe that uses pretty much everything from the Thanksgiving dining table!  Enjoy!





Turkey & Dressing Pot PiePrep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 1 hr


2 cups diced leftover cooked turkey
2 cups leftover turkey gravy
2 (16 ounce) bags frozen mixed vegetables (canned or already cooked works well too)
2 cups leftover prepared stuffing (more if desired)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt


Directions:
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees (176 celsius).
2 Cook vegetable mix according to package instructions; drain well.
3 Mix together turkey, vegetables, garlic powder, sage, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
4 Spoon vegetable and turkey mixture into a 9 x 13 rectangular cake pan.
5 Pour gravy over the vegetable/turkey mixture.
6 Top with stuffing, spreading evenly over all.
7 Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and the stuffing crust is brown and crispy.

Change it up a bit by using mashed potatoes as the base of a 3 quart casserole dish.
For the filling, use 3 cups turkey, 1 can sweet peas, one can kernel corn, 2 lumps of mashed sweet potatoes, and a little over 2 cups of gravy. Continue with step 6.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment