Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sweet Tomato Dumplings

I'm sitting here with Mom discussing things my grandma used to mak, meanwhile, looking up the recipes to see if there really is such a thing.  Some of these recipes have made me laugh.  Some have made me cringe.  Others have completely surprised me such as the Sweet Tomato Dumplings. 

Although the thought of tomatoes and dumplings combined left a funny taste in my mouth, I continued to Google the recipe and was surprised to find they actually sound quite yummy.  In fact, so yummy that I plan to make some this week.

Tomato Dumplings


1 quart tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onions

1/4 cup butter
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup brown sugar


Dumplings

1 cup flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon cold butter
2/3 cup milk


In a medium skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add
tomatoes, brown sugar, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 20
minutes.


Combine flour, baking powder and salt, cut in butter. Mix in milk.
Drop by tablespoons onto bubbling tomato mixture; cover and simmer
for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment